Wednesday, September 25, 2013

taking my life back - one zombie infested mile at a time

A little under a year ago I was celebrating my 29th birthday. Though we had recently gotten some pretty heavy news about our odds of conceiving a child and I was facing surgery for my endometriosis, I decided to  treat myself to a nice day out and about. I went out shopping and found myself two coveted pairs of jeans that fit nicely, tucked into my first salted caramel mocha of the season, started the last book in a series I'd been reading since I was 14 and took a trial boxing class at a local gym.

Fast forward almost twelve months later. The jeans don't fit, the book was a little bit of a let down (sorry F. Paul), I gave up boxing out of fear of popping an ovary and I've got no baby to show for any of my efforts.


 One of the things I was most looking forward to getting back to, now that "Project Get Knocked Up" is an official no-go, was boxing. I'd banked a couple of months of training at a really great boxing gym a few blocks from my house and was madly in love with it. Let me tell you, there is not much in the world that 45 minutes of punching won't make better.

Sadly, the months of inactivity cowering in fear left me in no shape to get back to heavy training. Taking the advice that the fight takes place in the ring, but is won on the road, I decided to start running.

I hate running.

Trust me, I've run a marathon, and hated a good 87% of it. But... it's the single most convenient exercise I can engage in and I really, really need the cardio.

Enter the Zombies!Run 5k training program. It's an interactive audio game that takes place in a post zombie apocalypse universe (how's that for a mouthful!) You play as a refugee in Able township, and the 5k program takes you through 8 weeks of training that gradually increases in difficultly until you're fit enough to be a full fledged supply runner (and move on to their regular episodic running game).

I am having a blast with this. It's fun, and wanting to know what happens next in the story is getting me out on the road regularly. Plus, playing the role of "bad ass post zombie apocalypse supply runner" is way preferable to "sad sack post ovary apocalypse couch sitter".

6 comments:

  1. Well this is interesting! I might need to check into it! :-) I am so glad you are having some fun! Happy ILC Week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate running so, so much. But I commend you for doing it and getting back in the exercise game. I think if I could pretend that zombies were chasing me, I might not hate it so much. I could actually see myself trying this out... Thanks for the tip. And I hope you can get back into the boxing ring soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, didn't no such games exist, need to try sometime. Happy birthday to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am going to have to look into running program. I'd really like to run a 5K next year. I also hate running, so any way to make it interested would be a good thing!

    Glad to hear you're getting back out there. It's so hard to get back into exercise when you've been inactive, no matter what the reason.

    Happy ICLW week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to add, Knoelle, that I nominated you for a Liebster Award. No pressure, but if you want to participate, the rules are over on my last blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some really useful slides here. I've been looking for something like this to help with a research piece I've been working on.
    Chronic Headache Treatments

    ReplyDelete